Thursday, May 6, 2010

Survey Says... Surgery

Saw my endocrinologist today for my test results, the good news is that all of my bloodwork looked really good, so on paper I'm fairly healthy. He said that I definitely do have PCOS though. He doesn't think it's important to put me on metformin at this point, which is a positive. He and the resident working with him think that it's very important to get my menstrual cycle back on track, but I can't be on birth control as I'm BRCA2 positive (long story short I'm at a hugely high risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer) and estrogen increases the chance of getting cancer. Not shedding your uterine lining greatly increases the chance of getting endometrial cancer, so I'm being scheduled for a biopsy and they've decided to put in an IUD that delivers progesterone to the uterus. Good fun. It'll mean day surgery (apparently stretching the cervix warrants the need to be put under anesthetic), but at least they're taking care of everything in one go.

So besides the IUD, the other important part of dealing with PCOS is getting to a healthier weight. PCOS also makes this incredibly difficult. It feels a little overwhelming right now, but I need to persevere. At least I feel like I'm battling something, I have a disorder to overcome, and I'm not just beating myself up for being fat.

I didn't have a great food day today, I had a donut at one point, and my sister and I went to an authentic Naples-style pizza place. At least everything was made with olive oil, and it was super-thin crust pizza. I'm sticking to my guns about not eating out this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment